- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- ¼ cup pine nuts (can substitute walnuts if preferred)
- 2 oz. fresh parmesan cheese, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 cups packed fresh basil leaves
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- fresh ground black pepper
- Place garlic, pine nuts and parmesan cubes into food processor and process until smooth and blended. Add basil leaves and pulse several more times until well blended.
- Scrape down the sides of the food processor with a rubber spatula.
- With food processor running, gradually add olive oil and process until blended. Stop food processor to scrape down sides as necessary.
- Season with ground black pepper to taste.
If not using right away, pesto can be stored in airtight container or Ziploc bag in freezer or refrigerator. Pesto exposed to air will brown, so protect from air by pressing a layer of plastic wrap tightly over the top surface of pesto or by pouring a thin layer of olive oil over the surface of pesto prior to freezing. Pesto can also be stored in ice cube trays (with plastic wrap pressed tightly over the top surface) for smaller portion sizes.