Beef and Mushroom Stroganoff
Recipe type: 1 Protein, 1 Starch, 1 Non-Starchy Vegetable
- 1 ½ lbs beef tenderloin
- 2 TBSP olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup plus ½ cup beef or vegetable broth
- 2 TBSP catsup (look for brand with no artificial ingredients or high fructose corn syrup-often the only brands meeting these criteria are organic)
- 8 oz mushrooms, sliced
- 3 TBSP whole grain flour
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 package whole grain egg noodles, prepared according to package directions
- Cut tenderloin across grain into strips about 1½ inches long and ½ inch thick.
- Heat skillet over medium heat and add olive oil.
- When oil is heated, add beef, garlic and onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until beef is brown.
- Add 1 cup broth and the catsup to skillet and heat to boiling. Reduce heat, cover and simmer about 10 minutes or until beef is tender.
- Stir in mushrooms and simmer for about 5 more minutes.
- Shake remaining ½ cup broth and flour in a tightly covered container and slowly stir into beef mixture.
- Heat to boiling, stirring constantly to thicken liquid. Boil for 1 minute.
- Reduce heat to low and stir in Greek yogurt.
- Serve over whole grain egg noodles.