Brown Rice and Wheatberry Salad
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 2 cups cooked wheat berries
- 1 15-oz can garbanzo beans
- 1 bunch scallions, white bulbs and part of green stalks, finely diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 2 cups broccoli florets, lightly steamed but still crisp-tender
- ¼ cup slivered almonds
- 1 medium apple, diced (If salad will not be served right away, toss apples in a small zipper bag with 1 tsp lemon juice to keep from browning).
- Juice of ½ lemon, freshly squeezed
- ¾ tsp curry powder (to taste; use more if desired)
- pinch of turmeric
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 TBSP olive oil
- ⅓ cup plain Greek yogurt
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- In a large salad bowl, combine first 7 ingredients and mix well.
- Drain excess lemon juice from apples if necessary and add to grains.
- To prepare dressing, combine lemon juice, curry powder, turmeric, and garlic in a small bowl and mix well. Whisk olive oil and yogurt into lemon juice mixture.
- Just prior to serving, toss dressing with salad and season with sea salt and pepper to taste.
Salad and dressing can be stored separately, covered, in refrigerator for several hours if desired.