Slow Cooker Stuffed Red Peppers
If you prefer these can be made in a conventional oven. See also recipe for Baked Stuffed Red Peppers.
- 4-6 red bell peppers (depending on size of pepper)
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 ½ cups cooked brown rice
- 1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes, divided (look for brand low in sodium with no artificial ingredients)
- 1 clove garlic, minced, divided
- 1 TBSP dried basil, divided
- 2 tsps dried oregano, divided
- ¼ cup chopped onion
- Remove the stems, seeds and tops of the bell peppers.
- Combine ground turkey (uncooked), cooked rice, 1 cup of the tomatoes, ½ of the minced garlic, ½ tbsp basil, 1 tsp oregano and onion in a bowl and mix well.
- Spoon an equal amount of turkey mixture into each pepper.
- Place stuffed peppers into the slow cooker cut side up.
- Combine remaining crushed tomatoes, remaining garlic, ½ TBSP basil and 1 tsp oregano to make a sauce.
- Pour sauce over peppers and cook on low for 6-8 hours until peppers are tender and turkey is cooked through.