Italian Chicken with Penne
- 8 oz whole wheat penne pasta, uncooked
- 1 TBSP cornstarch or arrowroot powder
- 2 cups low sodium all natural chicken broth
- 2 TBSP olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into cubes
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 green pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 red pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 16 oz can diced tomatoes (all natural)
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil
- ¼ cup white wine
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook according to package directions until al dente. Drain water and reserve pasta.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the chicken broth and cornstarch, or alternately shake together chicken broth and cornstarch in a small jar with a tightly fitting lid. Set aside.
- Heat a medium skillet over medium high heat then add olive oil and heat.
- Add garlic and chicken to skillet. Heat chicken, stirring occasionally, until chicken is no longer pink, and juices run clear, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the onion and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the peppers and cook until crisp-tender, about 4-5 more minutes.
- Stir in the tomatoes and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth mixture, wine, oregano and basil to the pan and stir until sauce is thickened. Stir in the cooked pasta and simmer over medium heat until thoroughly heated through, about 5 minutes. Garnish with Parmesan cheese and serve.