Quinoa Stuffed Zucchini
- 4 medium zucchini
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 8 oz mushrooms, finely chopped
- 2 shallots, diced
- 4 ripe plum tomatoes, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced (or pressed in a garlic press)
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme, leaves removed and chopped and stems discarded
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ½ cup fresh grated parmesan
- ½ cup packed fresh basil, chopped
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut zucchini in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds. Discard the seeds and place the zucchini halves, cut side down on a lightly oiled baking sheet.
- Brush the top sides of the zucchini lightly with 1 tablespoon olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Bake in oven 20-25 minutes, until soft when pierced with a fork.
- While zucchini are cooking, bring vegetable broth to a boil in a small pan. Add the quinoa, cover and simmer 15 minutes until quinoa is cooked.
- While the quinoa is simmering, prepare the mushrooms, shallots, tomatoes, garlic and thyme.
- Heat butter in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the shallots to skillet and cook 2-3 minutes.
- Add 1 tablespoon olive oil to skillet, then add mushrooms, tomato, and thyme. Cook another 5-6 minutes until soft.
- Add garlic and cook 30 more seconds.
- Add the cooked quinoa to the skillet and stir to combine.
- When zucchini halves are cooked, remove from oven and flip them over so cut sides are up.
- Fill zucchini halves with quinoa mixture and set aside any remaining quinoa mixture.
- Heat oven broiler to high. Sprinkle stuffed zucchini with grated parmesan cheese and place under oven broiler until cheese is melted and golden brown, about 3 minutes.
- Remove from oven and serve plated over remaining quinoa mixture and garnished with fresh chopped basil.