Slow Cooker Vegetable Lasagna
- 1 large egg
- 1 15 oz container part skim ricotta cheese
- 1 5 oz package fresh baby spinach, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 medium zucchini, shredded or thinly sliced
- 1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1 28 oz can diced tomatoes
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- pinch of crushed red pepper
- 1 package whole wheat lasagna noodles, uncooked (or can substitute brown rice lasagna noodles or zucchini strips for whole wheat noodles)
- 1½ cups part skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- ½ cup shredded fresh parmesan cheese
- Combine egg, ricotta, spinach, mushrooms, and zucchini in large bowl and set aside.
- Combine crushed and diced tomatoes, garlic, and crushed red pepper in a medium bowl.
- Coat a 6 quart or larger slow cooker with olive oil. Spread 1-½ cups of the tomato mixture in the slow cooker. Arrange a single layer of uncooked noodles over the sauce, breaking into pieces to cover as much sauce as possible.
- Spread half of the ricotta-vegetable mixture over the noodles and firmly pat down.
- Spoon on 1-½ cups sauce and sprinkle with ¾ cup mozzarella.
- Repeat the layering one more time, starting with noodles.
- Top with the third layer of noodles. Evenly spread the remaining sauce over the noodles, covering all noodles.
- Set aside the ½ cup Parmesan in the refrigerator.
- Put the lid on the slow cooker and cook on high for 2 hours or on low for 4 hours.
- Turn off the slow cooker, sprinkle the shredded parmesan over the lasagna, cover, and let stand for 10 minutes until cheese is melted.