Baked Stuffed Red Peppers
Recipe type: 1 Protein, 1 Starch, 1 Non-Starchy Vegetable
These can also be made in the slow cooker. See Recipe for Slow Cooker Stuffed Red Peppers.
- 4-6 red bell peppers (depending on size of pepper)
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 ½ cups cooked brown rice
- 1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes, divided (look for brand low in sodium with no artificial ingredients)
- 1 clove garlic, minced, divided
- 1 TBSP dried basil, divided
- 2 tsps dried oregano, divided
- ¼ cup chopped onion
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Remove the stems, seeds and tops of the bell peppers.
- In a skillet over medium heat, cook the ground turkey until evenly browned. Drain off excess fat and put turkey in a bowl.
- Add cooked rice, 1 cup of the tomatoes, ½ of the minced garlic, ½ TBSP basil, 1 tsp oregano and onion and mix well.
- Spoon an equal amount of turkey mixture into each hollowed pepper.
- Place peppers, cut side side up, in a baking dish.
- In a bowl, mix the remaining tomatoes, the remaining garlic, ½ TBSP basil and 1 tsp oregano to make a sauce.
- Pour sauce over peppers and bake 1 hour until peppers are tender, basting with the tomato sauce every 15 minutes.