Tofu and Mushroom Stroganoff
Recipe type: 1 Protein, 1 Starch, 1 Non-Starchy Vegetable
- 1-15 oz container extra firm tofu (non-GMO project verified)
- 2 TBSP olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup plus ½ cup vegetable broth
- 2 TBSP catsup (look for brand with no artificial ingredients or high fructose corn syrup-often the only brands meeting these criteria are organic)
- 8 oz mushrooms, sliced
- 3 TBSP whole grain flour
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 package whole grain egg noodles, prepared according to package directions
- Remove tofu from package and drain liquid.
- Cut tofu block into ½ inch thick slices.
- For ideal texture "press" tofu prior to cooking (see separate instructions for pressing tofu).
- Heat skillet (preferably cast iron) over medium heat and add olive oil.
- When oil is heated, place tofu in a single layer in pan and cook for 6-7 minutes. If all tofu doesn’t fit in a single layer, it can be cooked in batches.
- Do not stir or flip tofu but gently shake pan or nudge with spatula to ensure tofu doesn’t stick to pan. Add more oil to pan if necessary.
- When you see a golden crust beginning to appear at the sides of the slices, gently turn them to the other side and heat for about 4 more minutes.
- Gently remove tofu from skillet onto paper towel and set aside.
- Add onion and garlic to same skillet that was used for tofu (add more olive oil if necessary) and heat until lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
- Add 1 cup broth, the catsup and mushrooms to pan and simmer, covered, about 5 minutes.
- Return cooked tofu to pan.
- Shake remaining ½ cup broth and flour in a tightly covered container and slowly stir into tofu mixture.
- Heat to boiling, stirring constantly to thicken liquid. Boil for 1 minute.
- Reduce heat to low and stir in Greek yogurt.
- Serve over whole grain egg noodles.