Tofu Lettuce Wraps
- ⅔ c soy sauce or Bragg’s Liquid Aminos
- 4 T brown rice or rice wine vinegar
- 1 T honey
- 1 T sesame oil
- 1 bunch scallions, diced
- 2 T grated ginger
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 gloves garlic, minced
- 14 oz extra firm tofu
- 1 TBSP olive oil
- 1 14 oz can water chestnuts
- 3 medium carrots, diced into ¼- 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 small zucchini, diced into ¼ - ½ inch cubes
- 4 small sunchokes (also called Jerusalem artichokes), diced into ¼ - ½ inch cubes
- ¾ cup frozen organic corn kernels
- 1 tsp arrowroot powder or corn starch
- 1 head bib or butter lettuce
- In a medium bowl, whisk together soy sauce, rice vinegar and honey. Gradually whisk in sesame oil. Add remainder of marinade ingredients and stir to combine. Set aside while preparing tofu.
- Drain tofu block and cut into small cubes (about ½ inch). Add tofu cubes to marinade bowl and gently stir to combine. Cover and let sit in refrigerator at least 30 minutes and up to overnight.
- Heat olive oil in cast iron skillet over medium high heat. With slotted spoon, remove tofu pieces from marinade, reserving remaining marinade, and place tofu in cast iron skillet. Sauté until crispy on one side, about 4-6 minutes, then use spatula to turn pieces in large batches until cooked and lightly brown on all sides, about 10 minutes.
- Line large plate with paper towel. Remove tofu from pan and transfer to plate to drain.
- In the same pan used for tofu, add water chestnuts, carrots, zucchini, sunchokes and corn and heat until warm and crisp tender, stirring occasionally, about 2 minutes.
- Add cooked tofu back to pan.
- Combine reserved marinade and arrowroot or cornstarch in small jar or covered container and shake until well mixed. Add to skillet and stir until heated through and thickened, about 1 minute. Remove from heat.
- Spoon filling into lettuce leaves. If desired, top with cilantro, chopped avocado and hoisin sauce.
Tofu Lettuce Wrap Filling