Vegetable Pesto Lasagna
- 1 box 100% whole wheat lasagna noodles
- 1 15 oz container part skim ricotta cheese
- ½ cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 cup chopped fresh spinach
- 1 small zucchini, shredded or thinly sliced
- 6 oz sundried tomatoes, chopped (if using sundried tomatoes in olive oil-look for a brand that doesn’t contain sulfites; drain well before using).
- ¼ cup pine nuts or slivered almonds (can be toasted if time permits but not necessary)
- 2 TBSP plus ¼ cup pesto*
- 4 oz shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Boil water and cook lasagna noodles according to package directions.
- Combine ricotta, basil, spinach, zucchini, sundried tomatoes and pine nuts or almonds in a bowl.
- Lightly coat the bottom of a glass lasagna pan or 9 x 13 glass baking dish with olive oil.
- Spread 2 TBSP pesto across the bottom of the pan then cover with ⅓ of the noodles.
- Spread ½ of the ricotta vegetable mixture over noodles.
- Cover with another layer of noodles and the remaining ricotta vegetable mixture.
- Top with the remaining noodles then cover with ¼ cup pesto.
- Sprinkle mozzarella cheese over.
- Bake for 30-45 minutes, until heated through and bubbly. To speed bake time, lasagna can be heated in microwave oven for 10 minutes then warmed in 300 degree oven until bubbly and lightly browned at edges.
*This recipe tastes great with store-bought pesto—look for one with no artificial ingredients; or, if time permits, make your own pesto ahead of time and store in refrigerator or freezer. Find pesto recipe here.