Veggie Egg Bake
This vegetarian version of the popular brunch "egg bake" uses lots of flavorful vegetables instead of meat. This also allows you to use less cheese and still get a full flavor.
- 6 slices whole grain bread
- ½ cup sundried tomatoes in oil, drained and coarsely chopped *OR* ½ cup sundried tomatoes (not in oil), rehydrated in water for a few minutes then drained and coarsely chopped
- ½ cup fresh basil, coarsely chopped
- ¾ cup chopped raw green vegetables of your choice (broccoli, spinach, or artichoke hearts all work well)
- 5 oz goat cheese, cubed
- ½ c shredded parmesan cheese
- ½ c shredded provolone or Romano cheese-optional
- 12 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- Coarsely cube bread and layer in bottom of lightly greased baking 9 x 13 baking dish.
- Sprinkle tomatoes, basil, chopped vegetables and cheeses over bread.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs and milk. Pour over ingredients in baking dish.
- Cover and refrigerate at least 4 hours and up to overnight.
- Bake covered at 350 degrees for 15 minutes, uncover, and continue baking until golden brown and bubbly, about 30 more minutes.