Whole Grain Capellini with Asparagus, Leeks and Grilled Chicken
- 4 TBSP olive oil
- Grated zest of 1 fresh lemon
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 leeks, white part only, chopped
- 1 lb fresh asparagus, bottoms broken off
- 1 ½ TBSP chopped fresh chives
- 3 TBSP dry white wine
- 2 TBSP butter
- 1 lb whole grain capellini or whole grain angel hair pasta
- Freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1 to 1 ½ lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, seasoned to taste with sea salt and pepper, grilled, broiled, or pan sautéed and cut into thin strips (if unsure, see separate recipe for sautéing chicken).
- In sauté pan over medium heat, combine oil, lemon zest, garlic and leeks.
- Cover and heat, stirring occasionally, until leeks are tender, about 4-6 minutes.
- Cut asparagus into 2 inch lengths. Add half of cut asparagus to leeks along with 1 TBSP chives, wine, and butter. Cook until asparagus is heated through, about 2-3 minutes.
- Put 1 inch of water in sauce pan fitted with steamer tray and place remaining asparagus on steamer tray. Cover and steam over high heat until tender but firm, 2-3 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large pot, boil water and cook pasta according to package directions until al dente.
- Drain pasta, reserving ½ cup liquid, and return pasta to pot.
- Add sautéed asparagus-leek mixture and reserved liquid. Toss to combine.
- Top with remaining asparagus, grilled chicken strips, remaining chives, and freshly grated parmesan cheese to taste.